Monday, September 25, 2006

Monday September 25th 2006 - home practice

(Backfilled in October 2009 due to impending closure of Geocities)

BIG NEWS!!! Walter can now weave his wams fully upright!! Here are some photos from today to mark the grand occasion:



I took him to the field yesterday for a practice after being inspired at the fun match (with Lucy). We did some wams but it was nothing special. Then later at home I tightened the bolts on the wams to make the poles give less, so they'd be more like the ones at the field. Then I did a wam session and he has just been so darn consistent at 1" off center that I decided to put one pole, then two, then finally all of the poles fully upright (at least, as close to fully upright as I can approximate with the wams) and it was no problem for him whatsoever -- No poles bypassed! Yay!! I must contain my excitement, however, because I still need to get him to do this (a) on the wams at the field, which have a wider base and are more closely spaced than our set and therefore harder for him, (b) on actual uprights, (c) on 12 poles instead of just 6, and of course (d) at all kinds of angles and as part of sequences. So there's still LOTS to be accomplished before he "has his weaves", but I am thrilled that we finally reached this first milestone! A little bit of practice (ok, a whole lot of practice actually) and a ton of patience really can get results.

No comments: